- Sep 30, 2014
- Hits: 15352
Written by HRC Secretariat
The function of the Human Rights Commission are prescribed under the HRC Act, Chapter 48 of the Laws of Zambia.
In Sections 9 of the Human Rights Commission Act, the HRC is mandated to:
- Investigate human rights violations;
- Investigate any maladministration of justice;
- Propose effective measures to prevent human rights abuse;
- Visit prisons and places of detention or related facilities with a view to assessing and inspecting conditions of the persons held in such places and make recommendations to redress existing problems;
- Establish a continuing programme of research, education, information and rehabilitation of victims of human rights abuse to enhance the respect for and protection of human rights; and
- Do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the functions of the Commission.