President Hakainde Hichilema has challenged the Human Rights Commission (HRC) to be proactive in redressing human rights violations and abuse.
When swearing Commissioners at State House on Monday, 27th June, 2022, the President said HRC should not wait for investigations reports, but should proactively engage Law Enforcement Agencies and the Judiciary to redress human rights violations.
The Head of State noted with sadness that the right to access to justice by most vulnerable suspects was one of the mostly violated rights.
Following the swearing in of the Vice Chairperson and four other Commissioners, the composition of HRC is as follows:
1. Mr. Mudford Z. Mwandenga- Chairperson
2. Dr. Pamela Towela Sambo- Vice Chairperson
3. Rev. Agnes Chongo-Phiri-Commissioner
4. Rev. Canon Yona Chikoya Commissioner
5. Mr. Thom Trevor Shamakamba- Commissioner
6. Ms. Laura Mary Mit- - Commissioner
7.Ms. Christine Chama – Commissioner